Warragul Cemetery - now known as Victoria Street Cemetery - is
an area of 10 acres on the corner
of Victoria and Sutton Streets, Warragul. This land was purchased
on September 23, 1878.
At that stage this land was well outside the town boundaries,
however the Cemetery has long since been surrounded by residential
housing as Warragul township expanded.
The Cemetery was gazetted in 1878 but during its early years there
were few burials.
In 1883 the paths and compartments were laid out.
The Cemetery has always been managed by Trustees from within the
The first Trustees, James Biram, Charles Sargent and James Witton
were appointed on November 7, 1879.
The earliest known burial was that of local businessman Henry
who died at his Brandy Creek residence of the medical condition
'dropsy' on July 24, 1881.
Mr Wetherman was a well known cordial maker and manufacturer of
aerated water who operated Wetherman's Lemonade. His grave lies
in the Church of England Section with a headstone inscription
Sacred to the memory of Henry Skuse, son of John Wetherman,
merchant of Henbury Court, Bristol, England.
Died at Buln Buln Gippsland Victoria July 24th 1881 aged 43 years.
The Victorian Birth Death and Marriage records list many people
who died prior to Henry Wetherman,
however the indexes do not show where they are buried.
So we can only assume that these deaths are memorialisations on
existing headstones are not actual burials.
Unfortunately the Cemetery Trust records were destroyed by fire
so records prior to this date are not completely accurate.
The first burial entered into the second register of the Warragul
Cemetery was that of James Morrow
who died on February 10, 1926.