The cemetery has always been controlled
The first of whom were James Biram, Charles Sargent and James
They were appointed on the 7th of November 1879.
The first burial entered in the current burial register is that
of James Morrow who died on the 10th of February 1926.
The cemetery was divided into denominational sections –
The Methodist section being on the left side of the drive way
from Victoria Street entrance,
followed by the Catholic section.
The Church of England section is on the right of the driveway
followed by the Presbyterian section.
In later years when lawn graves became popular, Lawn 1 section
There are now 5 lawn sections. The first burial in a lawn grave
was in June 1965.
Areas were set aside for Cremated remains, with the construction
of a Niche wall in 1970,
and then the Memorial Shrub section in 1980. In the early1980’s
it became apparent that the Victoria Street Cemetery
was running out of burial space, so plans were put in place to
secure another cemetery site for Warragul.
On the 25th of June 1987 the State Government purchased 45 acres
of land for $94000.00.
This site then became known as Gulwarra Heights Memorial Park,
and was officially opened by the Minister for Health, Caroline
Hogg in March 1990.
In October 1994 the first stage of the road works within the cemetery
The plaque was unveiled by Mayor Joy Ryrie to acknowledge the
Councils contribution of $20000.00 to the Car Park.
The first burial at Gulwarra Heights was that of Robert Radford
( a well known butcher from Warragul) in 1996.
In 1996 Community services Minister – Dennis Napthine officially
opened the gates and gateway to the cemetery.
The gates had been obtained from Springvale Crematorium, brought
to Warragul, modified for use at the main entrance.
Building of the Reception Centre was undertaken in the year of
The building was built and supervised by a local builder and he
was ably assisted by members of the Cemetery Trust, together with
many local business’s volunteering.